Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Wishing for Summer


I was waiting for some nice weather to take these pictures outside but instead we got two huge snow storms and theres a couple feet of snow still out there. So much for the unusually hot Spring we were supposed to have! Maybe if I start sewing my summer wardrobe the weather will get the hint!


I am really loving jumpsuits lately. When I saw this fabric I had a vision of this wonderful jumpsuit! I recently discovered Blackbird Fabrics and I can't believe I didn't know about them sooner! They have such great fabric and they're Canadian! Yay! I am so inlove with this print. And the jumpsuit is super comfy too!


I used an old Vogue pattern 1308. I really liked the pattern, it's a nice simple design which was perfect to showcase this fabric. I left out the ruffle down the front and the drawstrings on the waist. I wanted to keep it plain and simple because the fabric had so much going on.


I used some scraps of brown silk from another project to finish the neck and armhole edges. I finished the armholes in the same way I finished the neck, the pattern called for a different technique but I thought this way it was really clean looking. I chose not to put a zipper down the back neck, instead I sewed it up a bit further and finished the edges separately, creating sort of a keyhole opening, and I added a hook and eye at the top. I also chose not to add the extra piece to create the elastic casing at the waist. Instead I just turned in the waist seam allowance to form a casing, and I used a 3/8" wide elastic rather than the 1" elastic the pattern called for.


Finally, instead of making the facings on the pocket bag, I just used the self fabric to make the whole pocket bag, since my fabric was pretty lightweight. The pockets are really unnoticeable even though I didn't do any print matching.


I did french seams everywhere including the pocket bags.


I really like how my jumpsuit turned out, I think it was a combination of the perfect fabric and a great pattern. I am even more excited for summer now because I want to start wearing this!


Thanks for reading! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment